Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Northern Lights in Yellowknife, Canada

March, 2010
Northern Lights dance and dazzle across the unbelievable clear skies north of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. This is the reason I have travelled so far, all to capture the beauty of the aurora in a camera. But try as I might, I have not even scratched the spectacle of this phenomenon.
Here the big dipper (upper left) is surrounded by the aurora.
A waxing moon setting in the west lights up the snow on frozen Gordon Lake while the northern lights shimmy and shake.
Tamarac and birch trees of the boreal forest make the perfect foreground to the aurora.
There are times when the entire sky is lit up and dancing under the influence of the lights.
The shapes and colors are absolutely beyond belief. Truly you have to see it for yourself to believe it!
So even at -32 degrees C and with my eyes freezing shut I am one happy photographer in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere, surrounded in ethereal light and moonbeams on fresh snow. How can it get any better?

To see more of my photography please visit www.wildlifeimages.net